Your Free Consultation with a Workers’ Compensation Attorney
If you’ve been hurt at work, understanding your rights and options is essential. A workers’ compensation attorney can guide you through the process, and the good news is, the first consultation is free! Here’s what you need to know.
What’s a Free Consultation, anyway?
California law ensures that workers’ compensation attorneys provide free consultations. This means you can consult with an attorney to discuss your case without any cost. Plus, these attorneys work on a “contingency fee basis,” which means they only get paid if you recover money. If there is no recovery, there is no fee.
Why Should You Consider A Free Consultation?
Gathering information about all of your legal options is a smart step because when you depend on non-lawyers or the insurance adjuster to “explain” your rights, you may not get the full story about what you should be considering. After all, one of the jobs of an insurance adjuster is to save money on your claim, not figure out ways to make sure you get everything you deserve.
Getting Ready for the Consultation
Before you meet with the attorney, gather some important information:
- Details of the accident or injury
- The names and phone numbers of the physicians you have seen
- A list of witnesses
- Any prior injuries to the same body part
- Correspondence from your employer and their insurance company
- DO NOT tell anyone you are visiting with an attorney. It is your right to obtain information confidentially.
What to Expect During the Consultation
You’ll talk about your case, and challenges, and get to know the attorney. Here are some questions you might ask:
- How long have you been a lawyer?
- Do you limit your practice to only handling workers’ compensation cases?
- How do you handle cases like mine?
- What’s your approach to workers’ compensation cases?
- How much do you charge?
- How often will you update me on my case?
- Do you use non-lawyers to appear in court for me, or do you personally appear?
The Decision and the Next Steps
After the consultation, if you decide to work with the attorney, they’ll guide you through the process. You’ll learn about what comes next in terms of treatment and legal action. The attorney should fight for the proper medical treatment and benefits you deserve.
Take the Step Toward Your Rights
Picking a skilled work injury lawyer in Orange County ensures you’re getting the benefits you’re entitled to. To explore your case with an attorney with over 30 years of experience handling workers’ compensation cases, call Thomas F. Martin at 714-547-5025 or reach out online. A confidential consultation can make all the difference in your journey toward justice.